Photos from a Day One on the IRT
NINETY-FIRST STREET is another station that you will no longer find on a current subway map. It is the fourth of the abandoned stations on the original IRT route. As at 18 Street, its platforms were never extended. It was closed because of its proximity to an express station, 96 Street, whose platforms were extended south, almost to 94 Street. This photograph most likely shows the southbound platform, and it well illustrates the passenger entrance/exit system. After descending the stairs, the passenger purchased a ticket at the booth at the left, then passed through the area to the left of that shown in the photo. The ticket was then destroyed in the ticket chopper that is shown. Note the gate at the right marked "Exit." It would be raised when a train pulled into the station to let passengers leave the station; there were no conflicts between entering and exiting passengers, as there are today at turnstiles at busy stations. The door at the right of the photo is for a restroom. There was no fluorescent lighting when the subway opened in 1904; note the row of incandescent bulbs in the ceiling. A "91" terra cotta panel, like those at the previous two stations, is visible where this row meets the wall. There is currently a small grating at sidewalk level that lets in natural light where the downtown staircase once opened to street level. Tours of this platform are given on the Transit Museum's "Day One on the IRT" tour.
|86 Street||96 Street|
Back to The IRT: First Stations page.